SkatePerception
mikejl29

Radio Slaves/wireless Slaves Thread

Anything cheaper and you lose quality. People might suggest ebay knockoff versions but they're more hassle than they're worth. Just get the PW's and be stoked that you have some top of the line stuff. There's also Elinchrom Skyports but I haven't seen them tested very well yet (With 8fps, over long distances...).

But what comes with top of the line? Does it have like TTL metering and such? What makes them so much better? What kind of settings do they have?

Sorry, but I just want to make sure its worth it before dropping $400. Im just like that, it's really annoying. Haha.

Anything cheaper and you lose quality. People might suggest ebay knockoff versions but they're more hassle than they're worth. Just get the PW's and be stoked that you have some top of the line stuff. There's also Elinchrom Skyports but I haven't seen them tested very well yet (With 8fps, over long distances...).

Wheres a good place to buy these skyports? Can't find any on ebay or B&H.

But what comes with top of the line? Does it have like TTL metering and such? What makes them so much better? What kind of settings do they have?

Sorry, but I just want to make sure its worth it before dropping $400. Im just like that, it's really annoying. Haha.

No TTL, manual flash only. They're soo good because they work everytime no matter what.

I googled it a bit and read on the FM forums that there not available in the US till mid 2007? I'm assuming it'll probably be even longer till there available in Canada then?

So then whats with all the buttons? Haha.

Channels and triggering local or remote flashes

Aight. One more question - Do you guys find that 1/250th, as advertised, is fast enough? I mean, I don't know if you can get any faster, but is it normally fast enough to freeze the action?

Their 1/250th thing doesn't really matter. Mine sync reliably at 1/1250 because I have a d70s.

Their 1/250th thing doesn't really matter. Mine sync reliably at 1/1250 because I have a d70s.

So if i buy these to go with a D1x will I only be able to go up to 1/250th or what?

So if i buy these to go with a D1x will I only be able to go up to 1/250th or what?

Yeah because that's the max x-sync for that camera

D50s are weird like d70s and can sync ridiculously fast.

Yeah because that's the max x-sync for that camera

D50s are weird like d70s and can sync ridiculously fast.

Wtf? I thought it was 1/500th. There goes that camera as a choice.

I've pushed my pocket wizards to shoot at 1/1000 and they still work fine as long as your camera can keep up with that. *COUGH D70 COUGH*. But yes, I shoot 1/250 and its fast enough depending on your flashes duration and that has been discussed on this site many times before so search it if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Boyko, the Skyports are available in Canada already. http://www.vistek.ca is distributing them.

I've pushed my pocket wizards to shoot at 1/1000 and they still work fine as long as your camera can keep up with that. *COUGH D70 COUGH*. But yes, I shoot 1/250 and its fast enough depending on your flashes duration and that has been discussed on this site many times before so search it if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Boyko, the Skyports are available in Canada already. http://www.vistek.ca is distributing them.

Thank you.

So these Pocket-Wizard Plus II's are the things to get, then? What else am I going to need to get a D50 and an SB-800 firing? Just that?

EDIT: Ive got two Pocket Wizard Plus II's. My understanding is they come with a cord to attach to my SB-800? Any other suggested items?

if the sb 800 has a pc port then yes it comes with a cord. you will need a lightstand or tripod for your flash

What exact cord do i need for pocketwizards to hook up to my sb-24s

What exact cord do i need for pocketwizards to hook up to my sb-24s

im pretty sure the sb-24s have a pc outlet, so all you need is the pc to miniphone cord that comes with the pw.

(im guessing because thats what we do with my friends sb600)

I've been borrowing my friends' slaves and flashes for awhile and I haven't got to use them, because I can not connect them to my d70. The problem is that I can get the transmitter to sync with the camera, when on the hot shoe it doesn't work. Is there some way to get around this? Cause, d70 ain't got no PC port... These are Ebay slave by the way.

Halp is appreciated. <_<