SkatePerception
Robert K.

Beginner Questions

On the AE-1, on the shutterspeed dial, next the 60 there's a lightning bolt. Does that mean the camera's flash sync is 1/60?

Yes it does.

I'm new to flash, and had a question about slaves. I don't want to buy Pocket Wizards cause they are too much, so can I just buy those little peanut slaves and put them on Vivitar 285s? Or is that unreliable becuase other lights will set off the peanut slave?

I'm new to flash, and had a question about slaves. I don't want to buy Pocket Wizards cause they are too much, so can I just buy those little peanut slaves and put them on Vivitar 285s? Or is that unreliable becuase other lights will set off the peanut slave?

They will work, but only at night. During the day they will be pretty much usless outside because they are set of by light, and the sun is one big fucking light.

well the scenario of you being in a situation where there are a bunch of other peoples flashes is unlikley so thats not a problem what is a problem is a light slave in general they suck. i have so many problems w/ them. i guess they would do the job for everybody else cause i have crappy luck like that but they will be kinda crappy for day shots.

no, there are infrared slaves availble. but day ones can fire but they reliability isnt the best.

infrared is almost as unriable in the day as optical slaves. since infrared is still light.

if you want to have cheap off cam flash during the day get some synccords.

i have a canon t2. can the vivitar 285 flash be used for sequences? and will it not having TTL dedication be a problem?

ttl is just less work for the operator you can still use that flash but you will have to use the 285's calculator to get the right exposure and ignore what the camera meter reads. how fast do those go, cause you might like to invest in a battery pack for the flash.

it gets about 3fps. another question, will i be able to reach higer flash syncs than 1/125?

no, you cant increase camera's x-sync(flash sync). you have to just get a camera which is better in that aspect. there are 2 types of shutters; focal plane(35mm) and leaf shutter/ leaf shutters(meduim format usually and i think old 35mm) can sync at any speed but the fastest for a film focal plane is 1/250 but i think 1/300 has been acheived. i have a canon a2 witch is 1/200 it gets the job done, but it depends how close you are to the subject because the closer you are to a moving subject the more apparant it becomes that its moving. but when you get into digital the rules change. like the nikon d70 has a 1/500 x-sync. though i have heard w/ some canon film cameras that when used w/a dedicated speed light they can sync up to 1/2000. i think its the rebel -g and and any ex light. but only those flashes no other ones.

oh and the battery pack will just make for faster flash recycle times. this in turn will help you out w/ saving money on AA batteries and just be more effecient. i need to get one.

420ex are no good, ive read and heard you have little to no control over it.

I'm new to photography does putting your film in your refridgerator help keep it fresh?

yes it does. i ruv you

i have a Nikon N75 and i was wondering if anyone would help with flashes because i want to get some more creative shots with flash and i dont know which one to get i cant tell if they will work on my cam sorry for being a noob

go to your local camera shop, and pick up a hotshoe to PC accesory shoe. this is when you will learn little camera accesory prices are well inflated.

something like this or

that

HOw do I use sync cords to use multiple flashes? Do I put one flash in the hotshoe and then hook it up to another off camera flash with a PC cord? HOw can I link more than two flashes?

HOw do I use sync cords to use multiple flashes? Do I put one flash in the hotshoe and then hook it up to another off camera flash with a PC cord? HOw can I link more than two flashes?

pc splitter anyone?

here is what im looking at for a slave setup. vivitar 285 w/pc adapter and a wein hs slave. this will all be on a tripod of course. does this sound alright? im pretty sure this is cordless but i would like a second opinion.

those wein slaves are overrated. i say you drop 40 on the radio slaves from ebay causei hear they're decent. but i have a wein slave and it doesnt cut it man.