SkatePerception
Doot

Photographic Composition

yeah seriously, i've shots in skate mags that are like WTF??? missing hands, blurr, bad lighting, soft, all kinds of fucked up shits. but then on the other hand, those are the exceptions.
most of the stuff is so crisp and well light up that makes me wanna quit shooting.

A lot of stuff in skate mags has much to do with the photographer taking pictures of the right person doing the right trick, not neccesarily how well they compose the photo.

i agree with you but couldnt you have chosen a better fcking name?? damn dude...
so yeah, it's true what they say, connections is everything. just look at muska, been shooting for a couple of months and already shot an ad or two....

in skateboarding industry its all about who you are and who you know, not always about talent. But look at photgraphers like atiba, hes living the life we all want..anyways I love this thread good info man Im gonna focus on comp it really can improve my photos..

of course comp can only truly be learnt by experience and is largely based on opinion and personal vision, but knowing the fundamentals are the first step in forming one's own vision and thereby taking good photographs. thumbs up to this thread.

i am hoping to check out that henri cartier bresson soon, by the way...

[quote name='tgktmrjhinlhnm' post='1510973' date='Feb 8 2007, 06:21 PM']A lot of stuff in skate mags has much to do with the photographer taking pictures of the right person doing the right trick, not neccesarily how well they compose the photo.[/quote]
100% true. i emailed shad lambert awhile back and after saying some stuff about my photos, he's like "but you're problem is that you're not shooting the best skaters in your area. it's sad cause the skateboard photo community is like more of who you know, not what you know."

[quote name='PatrickD' post='1514030' date='Feb 10 2007, 05:55 PM']100% true. i emailed shad lambert awhile back and after saying some stuff about my photos, he's like "but you're problem is that you're not shooting the best skaters in your area. it's sad cause the skateboard photo community is like more of who you know, not what you know."[/quote]

Yeah, so essentially it's the same situation as the rest of life.

Your super fancy university degree will only get you so far... but knowing Bill Gates could potentially be better for you.

ok, I just requested about 10 or 11 books dealing with composition from the library my mom works at. so I'm gonna read thru them and put them up in here with sort of a "rating" if you will, and tell you if they're worth checking out. I should get at least one book tomarrow. anyone think this is a good idea, or should I just not waste my time??

Oh snazz, i just now noticed this pinned. well lets bring it back. heres a good site i found a few months ago.
[url="http://photoinf.com/"]http://photoinf.com/[/url]
a whole lot of tips for comps and shit.

how is ansel adam's: the negative? i'm considering buying it, mostly for the zone system explaination.

[quote name='germicide' post='1755048' date='Jun 17 2007, 12:06 AM']how is ansel adam's: the negative? i'm considering buying it, mostly for the zone system explaination.[/quote]
while not compositional, its a very good book.