SkatePerception

i am redoing that kids post a few days ago, and im going to try to fill this one up with better more accurate and in-depth information. this is meant so that before you post about what are the benefits of this camera or that one just look here. it will save a lot of time and useless threads.

SONY

VX1000
-3 CCD
-1/3"CCD size
-10x optical zoom
-52mm filter diameter
-7 low lux
-hi-fi stereo audio format
-uses proprietary lithium battery
-width- 4.3 inches
-height- 5.75 inches
-weight- 3.25 lbs.
-release date- 1995
The Sony vx1000 is an old, but still one of the best prosumer cameras out there. They do not make them anymore but the best place to find them are on ebay or at xia's ebay store. they make vx1000's in either PAL or NTSC format. the vx1000 is known to have the crispest audio while getting the best colors out there. The picture quality of the video is outstanding if you know what your doing with your camera. however, this camera performs poorly in low light conitions. if you are looking for an on cam light for this camera i recommend the bescor 50/100. The fisheye options with this camera are that you can throw a century optics mk1 "death lens" on it. This is the best of the best of fisheyes and fits the vx1000 perfectly. another option is you can put a raynox on it. if you want any sort of wideness out of that fisheye i highly recommend that you modify it. (see threads in the contribute section) this is basically it for the basics on the vx1000.

VX2000
-3 CCD
-1/3" CCD
-12x optical zoom
-58mm filter diameter
-2 low lux
-12/16 Bit PCM Digital Stereo/Audio Dub
-uses Proprietary Lithium battery
-width- 4.63 inches
-height- 5.75 inches
-weight- 3.06 lbs.

VX2100
-3 CCD
-1/3" CCD
-12X optical zoom
-58mm filter diameter
-1 low lux
-12/16 Bit PCM Digital Stereo Audio
-uses proprietary lithium battery
-width- 4.75 inches
-height- 6.38 inches
-weight- 3.38 pounds
-manual controls- Focus (ring), Exposure (19 steps dial), White Balance, Zoom (ring), Shutter Speed (1/4-1/10,000), Iris, Mic. Level
I combined both the sony vx2000 and vx2100 in the same section because they are similar cameras. The vx2000/2100 are much newer cameras then the sony vx1000 and are much more durable than the vx1000. Both these cameras are said to get "colder" colors and audio thats not as crisp as the vx1000, however if you know how to use your cp's and set your audio levels than you can achieve just as good colors or audio as the vx1000 on a sunny day. The vx2000/2100 perform SO much more better in conditions where little light is present. The fisheyes you can throw on the vx2000/2100 are the mk2, the mk1, and a raynox mx3000. the mk2 fits these cameras perfectly, but is not as wide as the mk1 and can produce lens flares. the mk1 will not fit these cameras unless you mod it too fit. the raynox is the best alternative if you only have about 100 bucks to spend. after you get the raynox modify it so you can get the wideness you are looking for. This is pretty much it for the vx2000/2100 series.

TRV-900
-3 CCD
-1/4" CCD size
-12x optical zoom
-52mm filter diameter
-4 Low Lux
-12/16 Bit PCM Digital Stereo/Audio Dub
-Proprietary Lithium battery
-width- 3.75 inches
-height- 4.13 inches
-weight- 1.94 pounds
-release date- 1998
Even though this is a tiny unprofessional looking camera, this camera is near the top of the best of the best. It is also half the price of the vx1000, you could have this camera and a baby death lens for considerably less than the cost of a vx1000 on its own. What ever people say about “don't buy a trv900/890 get a vx1k then save for a death.” don't listen to them, if you can afford a 3chip you should be old enough to make up your own mind, and unless you see yourself going some where in the video industry, or you plan to make several distributed videos, buy this camera, you won't regret it.

CANON
GL1
-3 CCD
-1/4" CCD
-20x optical zoom
-58mm filter diameter
-8 Low Lux
-width- 4.62 inches
-height- 5.37 inches
-weight- 2.75 lbs
The Canon GL1 is a super underestimated camera. The picture quality of this camera is up there among that of a trv-900, and the audio isnt as bad as people would say if you konw how to use manual controls. The fisheye lenses that you can put on this camera is a century optics death lens or a raynox mx3000. If you buy this camera i would again recommend an on cam light, considering the low light of this cam is the worst of all the major 3 chips. This camera is a great camera to get if you have 1,000 bucks to spend. its reliable and completely underrated.

GL2
-3 CCD
-1/4" CCD
-20x optical zoom
-58mm filter diameter
-6 Low Lux
-width- 4.63 inches
-height- 5.38 inches
-weight- 2.47 lbs
-manual controls- Focus (Ring), Exposure, White Balance, TV/AV Image Control, Picture Control, Shutter Speed (1/8 - 1/15,000), Audio Level Control
The Canon GL2 is a great camera for up and coming film makers. The picture is incredible on this camera. The colors are vivid, and the quality is superb. The audio on this camera is better than the GL1, but not as good as the vx1000. I would say somewhere close to the vx2000 for audio, but yet again, if you know what your doing, you can achieve great audio. (i've heard it before in videos). You can throw the infamous death lens on this camera also. If your looking for a camera that will give you everything you need and is durable, then this is the camera for you.

OPTURA 10
-1 CCD
-1/4" CCD
-16x optical zoom
-37mm filter diameter
-5 low lux
-width- 3 inches
-height- 3.6 inches
-weight- 1.4 lbs
If your thinking about starting to film skateboarding and you can't seem to figure what camera to get, stop searching. The Optura is the perfect entry level digital camcorder. At under $500 you get a lot for your money. Its 1/4" CCD puts out an amazing picture for a one chip. I would say it's probably one of the best one chip camera's, up there with the trv38. The price is one of the main reasons why I would suggest this camera to you, at around $100 cheaper than most other quality one chippers. For under $600 now, you could get the camera, a fisheye, and the materials for making a handle. So if you want a nice little skateboard filming set up and you don't spend too much money the Optura10/20 is a great option. NOTE: the Optura's lens is zoomed a tiny bit farther in than most other cameras so you may need a couple of spacers to get any fisheye's full wideness.

PANASONIC
DVC-30
-3 CCD
-1/4" CCD
-16x optical zoom
-43mm filter diameter
-4 low lux
-width- 4.38 inches
-height- 4.63 inches
-weight- 2.40 lbs
The Panasonic DVC-30 is a newer 3 chip camera that many people are choosing to buy these days. . It could be a great option for those looking for something small, new, and relatively cheap. At $1750 now at B&H with a $200 rebate and an awesome fisheye for $240, I would definitely recommend this over the GL2. The best fisheye option for this camera would be the nikon one. its overall the widest that you can throw on there. For complete setup price it's only rival would be the vx1000+mk1, but at 10years old it's not really comparable to a camera that came out last year. If you're like me and you're into skate filming and more, and want great little camera that packs a punch, the DVC30 is definitely worth looking into.

DVC-80
-3 CCD
-1/3" CCD
-10x optical zoom
-72 mm filter diameter
-3 low lux
-width- 5.50 inches
-height- 6.31 inches
-weight- 3.65 lbs
The Panasonic DVC-80 is an upgrade from the dvc-30 and a downgrade from the dvx 100. The DVC-80 does not come with 24p or 30p. So if you dont want to shoot in those then get this over the dvx100. Also you can throw on the Leica Lens, which is a pretty wide lens, and a good option for the dvc-80, but the dvx fisheye will also fit.

DVX100
-3CCD
-1/3" CCD
-10x optical zoom
-72 filter diameter
-3 low lux
-width- 5.50 inches
-height- 6.31 inches
-weight- 3.66 lbs
All in all, the Panasonic DVX100 is an outstanding camera. It has a great night shot, a great day shot, and a great fisheye. As far as skating goes, one could not ask for a better all around camera. Not only is the camera good for skateboard videography, but for filming events or shorts. To experienced prosumer camera users, I would strongly suggest you take another look at this camera. I suggest it to experienced users because of the somewhat difficult layout - not physically, but the complexity and variables of the custom presets. The DVX100 is an outstanding camera that can produce extraordinary colors. Although newer high definition cameras are being released, the dvx100 made as large an impact on myself as did the vx1000 when I first used it. In my opinion, the Panosonic AG-DVX100 is a hybrid of many consumer cameras which will prove to stay competing, as did the vx1000, for years to come.

GS-180
-3 CCD
-1/6" CCD
-10x optical zoom
-37mm filter diameter
-3 low lux
-manual controls- White Balance, Focus, Gain, Exposure, Shutter Speed
-weight- 2.91 lbs.
The panasonic gs-180 is the cheapest brand new 3 chip camera you can buy. although it is the cheapest this setup is no joke. Especially when you throw a baby death on it, this is a great setup for the filmer who cant afford a "vx" type camera yet.

this is my thread of all the popular "good" prosumer cameras and some info about them. this is meant to try to reduce the number of threads created. please feel free to add on anything ive missed

good job and nice work

even though it doesnt take much more then a simple search to find this all out... from anywhere

still good job though for those kids who are dumb and dont think to google or something

[quote name='chavo' post='1490604' date='Jan 30 2007, 07:09 PM']good job and nice work

even though it doesnt take much more then a simple search to find this all out... from anywhere

still good job though for those kids who are dumb and dont think to google or something[/quote]
thanks i just wanted to do this because of the kids that dont use the search button, just so the forum isnt all cluttered with useless already answered 20 times posts.

[quote name='Niko' post='1490872' date='Jan 30 2007, 08:42 PM']you should add the gs400 and/or gs500.[/quote]
ya but i was kinda getting lazy cause it took me like 2 hours to make this.

ya i know what you mean. its gonna take a while for you to perfect this. theres a lot of info here.

[quote name='C.Burt' post='1492422' date='Jan 31 2007, 04:01 PM']Nice job, but the gs180 deffinately doesn't weigh 2.91lbs.[/quote]
seemed like it was wrong to me 2, but thats what i read.

[quote name='C.Burt' post='1492504' date='Jan 31 2007, 04:53 PM']Don't know where you read that but its .9lbs.[/quote]
ya i thougth that 2 and some odd pounds seemed very heavy for the gs-180. .9 lbs sounds about right.

[quote name='Samrach' post='1492977' date='Jan 31 2007, 07:51 PM']a lot of info. Someone should give you some points for this. Good work. :)[/quote]
haha thanks sammy cakes

[quote name='connerHT14' post='1497121' date='Feb 2 2007, 07:55 PM']it would be sick if you added pictures[/quote]
ya i probably should have done that but then again this alone took me like 2 hours

OPTURA 10
-1 CCD
-1/4" CCD
-16x optical zoom
-37mm filter diameter
-5 low lux
-width- 3 inches
-height- 3.6 inches
-weight- 1.4 lbs
If your thinking about starting to film skateboarding and you can't seem to figure what camera to get, stop searching. The Optura is the perfect entry level digital camcorder. At under $500 you get a lot for your money. Its 1/4" CCD puts out an amazing picture for a one chip. I would say it's probably one of the best one chip camera's, up there with the trv38.[b] [i]The price is one of the main reasons why I would suggest this camera to you, at around $100 cheaper than most other quality one chippers.[/b][/i] For under $600 now, you could get the camera, a fisheye, and the materials for making a handle. So if you want a nice little skateboard filming set up and you don't spend too much money the Optura10/20 is a great option. NOTE: the Optura's lens is zoomed a tiny bit farther in than most other cameras so you may need a couple of spacers to get any fisheye's full wideness.

what are some of the other 1chip cams that compare to this in quality not price and also 3chips cams?

[quote name='Lucas W' post='1574559' date='Mar 11 2007, 03:44 PM']OPTURA 10
-1 CCD
-1/4" CCD
-16x optical zoom
-37mm filter diameter
-5 low lux
-width- 3 inches
-height- 3.6 inches
-weight- 1.4 lbs
If your thinking about starting to film skateboarding and you can't seem to figure what camera to get, stop searching. The Optura is the perfect entry level digital camcorder. At under $500 you get a lot for your money. Its 1/4" CCD puts out an amazing picture for a one chip. I would say it's probably one of the best one chip camera's, up there with the trv38.[b] [i]The price is one of the main reasons why I would suggest this camera to you, at around $100 cheaper than most other quality one chippers.[/b][/i] For under $600 now, you could get the camera, a fisheye, and the materials for making a handle. So if you want a nice little skateboard filming set up and you don't spend too much money the Optura10/20 is a great option. NOTE: the Optura's lens is zoomed a tiny bit farther in than most other cameras so you may need a couple of spacers to get any fisheye's full wideness.

what are some of the other 1chip cams that compare to this in quality not price and also 3chips cams?[/quote]
no too many 1 chips compare to it, just because of the manual control options it has. the panny gs series is a similar 3-chip though.

[quote name='seandee' post='1591936' date='Mar 20 2007, 09:25 PM']no, im pretty sure its 7[/quote]

[url="http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=DCRVX1000&LOC=3"]http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-docume...X1000&LOC=3[/url]

download marketing specs

[quote name='Ieatgoose' post='1593039' date='Mar 21 2007, 12:59 PM'][url="http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=DCRVX1000&LOC=3"]http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-docume...X1000&LOC=3[/url]

download marketing specs[/quote]
o my bad the website i went to said 7

VX1000's lux can't be 4. If you've used one at night/lowlight then you realize how shit it really is and know it's 7 for sure. Trust me.

[quote name='Antti' post='1596767' date='Mar 23 2007, 12:47 PM']VX1000's lux can't be 4. If you've used one at night/lowlight then you realize how shit it really is and know it's 7 for sure. Trust me.[/quote]

I have a VX1000, and it IS, in fact, 4 lux.

Google is your friend if you're skeptical:
[url="http://www.dtvgroup.com/DigVideo/DVC/Sony/dcr_vx1000.html"]http://www.dtvgroup.com/DigVideo/DVC/Sony/dcr_vx1000.html[/url]
[url="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=USE&O=productlist&sku=800516644"]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...p;sku=800516644[/url] (under Specifications)
[url="http://www.video.com.mx/articulos/sonydcrvx1000.htm"]http://www.video.com.mx/articulos/sonydcrvx1000.htm[/url]
[url="http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=DCRVX1000&LOC=3"]http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-docume...X1000&LOC=3[/url] (under "Marketing Specs")